While I haven’t placed a “silver” (also called “amalgam” or “mercury”) fillings in about 10 years, they are still probably the most common restoration in America. No one likes the way amalgam fillings look. We often get cold sensitivity with them and over the long term teeth seem to fracture more with them. And then there all that talk about toxicity from the mercury?

But what about white “composite” fillings? Do they cause more sensitivity? Are they toxic? And why do they cost more?

What if you don’t like either choice. What are the alternatives?

I’ll tell you why we place only composites, and how I really feel about them. Enjoy!